THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF INDIA
The Presbyterian Church of India (PCI) is one of the mainline Protestant Churches in India comprising eight Synods namely-
Mizoram Presbyterian Church Synod,
Cachar Hill Tribes Synod,
Manipur Presbyterian Church Synod,
Biateram Presbyterian Church Synod,
Ri Bhoi Presbyterian Church Synod,
Khasi Jaintia Presbyterian Synod Sepngi (KJP Synod Sepngi),
KJP Synod Mihngi, and
Zou Presbyterian Church Synod.
‘Presbyterian Church of India’ (PCI) was adopted as an official name in 1992 by a General Assembly of the Synod. It is one of the largest Christian denomination in India. The PCI was founded in 1841 by Rev. & Mrs. Thomas Jones, missionaries from the Presbyterian Church of Wales (formerly the Calvinistic Methodist Church).
The PCI has its headquarters in Shillong, the capital of Meghalaya state in Northeast India. The PCI subscribes to the Westminster Confession of Faith and maintains relationships with related denominations such as the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America, the Presbyterian Church of Korea, and the Uniting Church in Australia. It is also supported by its Welsh parent church. Locally, it has ties with the Council of Baptist Churches in North-East India (CBCNEI) and the Church of North India.
The PCI Assembly is held every two years. The 40th PCI Assembly 2012 is hosted by The Mizoram Presbyterian Church Synod at Champhai Vengsang Presbyterian Church, Champhai.
PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF INDIA
REPORT OF THE WORKING COMMITTEE
This report of the Working Committee covers a period of four months – January-April, 2012. Section ‘A’ contains matters implemented due to urgency and Section ‘B’ are matters entrusted by the Executive Committee, that need approval by the Executive Committee and ‘C’ are matters from the Working Committee.
- 1. Editing of the PCI Constitution
The Editing Sub-Committee reported that the re-editing of the Constitution was done. After a thorough discussion it was resolved:
- to accept the re-editing
- to print 1,000 copies;
- to request the Mizoram Presbyterian Church Synod to print, and payment be made in the new financial year- 2012-2013.
- 2. Printing of PCI Hymn Book
The proposal of re-printing of the latest hymn book was discussed and resolved to reprint the same by removing some hymns to have 100 hymns. The Office was entrusted to do the needful.
- 3. Invitation of Uniting Church of Australia to attend the Assembly Meeting during July 15-21, 2012:
It was resolved to request Zou Presbyterian Church Synod to send Rev. Stephen Chinzathang to attend the Assembly on behalf of the General Assembly, PCI and bear the travel expenditure.
- 4. Invitation from PCT to attend the General Assembly during April 10-13, 2012:
It was resolved to request the KJP Synod Mihngi to send a representative on behalf of the General Assembly and bear the travel expenditure.
- 5. Implication of sub-quota 4.5% for the minority communities within the 27 % for OBC:
The NCCI Commission on policy, Governance and Public Witness has invited us to National level consultation on “Implication of sub-quota for the minority communities within the reservation for the OBC” on 8th & 9th of March, 2012 at CNI Bhavan, 16 Pandit Pant Marg, New Delhi. After discussion it was resolved to request the Field Secretary of Mizoram Presbyterian Church, Delhi Mission Field, to attend the consultation on behalf of the General Assembly.
- 6. First Adhoc Council of WCRC-SARC on the 13th April, 2012 at CSI Synod Secretariat in Chennai:
The WCRC-SARC has requested to nominate one representative to attend its First Adhoc Council of WCRC-SARC on the 13th April, 2012 at CSI Synod Secretariat in Chennai. It was resolved to nominate Rev. S. S. Majaw to attend the Council on behalf of the General Assembly.
- 7. Programme on the 40th General Assembly at Champhai:
As the expected overseas visitors could not confirm their coming, it was resolved to appoint speakers as follows on Sunday morning and afternoon services respectively:
Sunday Morning 10:00 A.M: Rev. Hrilrokhum Thiek, CHT Synod
Sunday Afternoon 1:00 P.M: Rev. Dr. J.F. Jyrwa, Treasurer, Gen. Assembly.
- 8. Accident of KAGAAA Assembly Officer Car:
The Office reported that the vehicle of the General Assembly used by Rev. V.L. Zaithanga, the General Assembly Officer of KAGAAA was hit by a truck (207) on January 24, 2012, 7:30 p.m. near Dokmuka Police Station, while travelling back to Diphu. The car overturned off the road and damage was done, but the Assembly Officer and the driver were safe. FIR was submitted. The report was noted and resolved to entrust the Office to pursue the matter.
- 9. Rent of Assembly Jubilee House at Laban, Shillong:
The Office reported that the rent of the Assembly Jubilee House at Laban was never increased from the beginning. It resolved to increase the rent as follows with effect from April, 2012:
Upstairs, rented by Mrs. Pryanka Nongkynrih : Rs. 4,000 to 5, 000
Ground Floor, rented by Elder Pianmawia : Rs. 2,000 to 2, 000
Small Cabin, rented by Mr. Alok Bhowmick : Rs. 2,000 to 2, 500
- 10. The request of WCRC for financial consideration (Ref.E/C Resn No.8 dt 11&12 Jan 2012):
It was resolved to inform the WCRC that the PCI is not in a position to extend financial help to WCRC.
- 11. The return of Rev. Khupchawng Vanlalrawna CWM Missionary from Jamaica (Ref W/C Resn No.6 (a) dt 28th Feb 2012):
It was reported that Rev. Khupchawng Vanlalrawna has submitted a written report to the Office through the concerned Synod as requested. The report was noted.
- 12. Nomination to TIM 2013
The request of Partner churches for nominating a Youth of 20-30 of age to Training in mission was received from the Council for World Mission in 2013. The programme will begin in February 2013 and end in November in South Africa and India.
The matter was discussed and resolved to request the Zou Presbyterian Church Synod to nominate one youth to attend the Training in Mission during February to November, 2013.
- 13. Invitation to attend the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church of Wales to be held during July 16-18, 2012 at University of Wales, Aberngstwyh.
The invitation to attend the General Assembly of PC Wales was received and discussed.
It was resolved to request Mizoram Presbyterian Church Synod to send one delegate to attend the same on behalf of the PCI General Assembly and bear all the travel expenses. Meanwhile accommodation expenses during his stay at Aberystwyth will be borne by the PC Wales.
- 14. Invitation to the 97th General Assembly of Presbyterian Church of Korea during Sept 17th (Monday)-21st (Friday), 2012 at Somong Church.
The matter was discussed and resolved to nominate Rev. David T. Lhouvum to attend the 97th General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church of Korea at Samong Church during September 17-21, 2012.
- 15. Invitation of Oikocredit Annual General Meeting on the 15th June, 2012 in Balsta, Sweden:
It was resolved to nominate Elder K. Lyngkhoi to attend this Annual General Meeting of Oikocredit on the 15th June, 2012 in Balsta, Sweden. He is requested to bear all the expenses related to this meeting.
- 16. Contribution towards advertisement in the NCCI Assembly Souvenir.
A request to contribute towards advertisement in the NCCI Assembly Souvenir 2012 was received. After discussion it was resolved to contribute Rs. 10,000.00/- only. The Office was entrusted to do the needful.
1. 17. Guest-room Care Taker:
It was resolved to appoint Mr. Chitra Thapa, Chawkidar, as Guest Room Care-Taker, besides his normal duty, with the honorarium of Rs. 1,000.00 (Rupees one thousand) only per month with effect from 1st May 2012.
1. 18. Salary of Tiwa Bible Translator (E/C Resn No.9(a) dt 11th & 12th Jan, 2012)
Since the BSI is Giving Rs. 6,500/- p. m it was resolved not to add to that at the moment.
Matter entrusted by the Executive Committee
The report of the Sub-Commi
- 1. Seeking ways and means to recover financial deficit of the General Assembly (Ref. E/C Resn. No4.(e) dt 11th & 12th Jan, 2012):
ttee was presented, by Rev S. S. Majaw, the Convener. After careful lengthy discussion it was resolved as follows:-
- To accept the report;
- To recommend to the Executive Committee;
- It is imperative to appeal to all the Units for special contribution in order to recover the financial deficit.
- To include in the Budget of the General Assembly Rs. 3 Lakhs for the period during 2012-2013 and 2013-2014; (i.e Re 1.50 lakhs each financial year)
- To reduce some of the programmes and activities including travel outside the General Assembly and abroad until financial deficit is recovered.
- 2. Process of legal document on ownership of lands in Silchar and Karimganj Mission Compound (Ref. E/C Resn no.5(a)dt 11th &12th Jan,2012):
Rev. Lalramliana Pachuau, the Administrative Secretary in-charge Trust reported that the process of obtaining legal document for the General Assembly Lands in Silchar and Karimganj Mission Compound is under process.
- Assessment for the construction of boundary wall for the cemetery and retaining wall for the fish ponds in Karimganj Mission Compound : Following the resolution of the Executive Committee in January, 2012, it was resolved to recommend the assessment as follows:
1. Mizoram Synod Rs. 4,00,000
2. KJP Synod Sepngi Rs. 1,60,000
3. KJP Synod Mihngi Rs. 1,50,000
4. CHT Synod Rs. 35,000
5. Manipur Synod Rs. 35,000
6. Biateram Synod Rs. 20,000
7. Ri Bhoi Synod Rs. 30,000
8. Zou Synod Rs. 20,000
- 3. Concept Paper for Overseas Mission (Ref E/C Resn No.5.(h) dt 11th &12th Jan 2012):
The Concept Paper on Overseas Mission was presented by Rev. David T. Lhouvum the Administrative Secretary I/C Mission and Evangelism. After discussion it was resolved to recommend the same to the Executive Committee for necessary decision.
- 4. Revision of the Pay of the General Assembly Mission Worker (Ref. E/CResn No.7(b) dt 11th &12th 2012):
Rev. David T. Lhouvum, the Administrative Secretary I/c Mission and Evangelism presented the proposed Pay Revision for the Mission Workers of the General Assembly. The matter was discussed at length and it was resolved to recommend to the Executive Committee that all the Mission Workers under the General Assembly will be paid as follows with effect from 1st May, 2012.
a) Dimasa Mission Worker – According Pay-Scale approved by the General Assembly
b) Care-Taker at N.Wari – Rs. 1,500/- fixed per months
c) Others (i.e Working together in Mission – Rs. 5000/- fixed per months
Any anomaly be borne by the Synod.
Matter from the Working Committee
1. Appointment of the Assembly Officer, KAGAAA (W/C Resn.No.6(k) dt 28th
The Working Committee, taking into consideration the policy approved by the Executive Committee on the appointment of the Assembly Officer and the kind of work that the Assembly Officer should function in KAGAAA, strongly felt the need of appointing the Assembly Officer from among the senior Ministers/ Pastors having more experiences both in administration and pastoral ministry. Basing on this ground, the Working Committee resolved unanimously to recommend to the Executive Committee as follows:
To appoint Rev. Dr. Lalhmangaiha of Mizoram Presbyterian Church Synod as the Assembly Officer for one term i.e. 2012-2016.
- b. To request the Executive Committee to modify section 2 of the policy of appointing the Assembly Officer, which reads ‘The Executive Committee of the General Assembly through its Working Committee may directly appoint from among the ministers a) who have 15 years of service from the date of appointment as Probationary Pastor and b) who are in active service, preferably who have experience in the field of pastoral ministry and administration.’
- 2. Application for CWM Scholarship
An application of Ms. Aisuklang Kharkongor for CWM Scholarship for M.th study at Madurai Theological Seminary, Madurai, was endorsed by the KJP Synod Mihngi.
After discussion it was resolved to forward her application to Executive Committee for necessary decision.
- 3. Audited Statements of Accounts & Budget Estimate for 2012-2013 and 2013-2014:
a) The Audited Statement of Accounts was presented, after discussion it was resolved to place the same to the Executive Committee.
b) The proposed Revised Budget estimated and Assessment for 2012-2013 and anticipated Budget 2013-2014 was presented. After a threadbare discussion it was resolved to recommend the same to the executive Committee for necessary action.
- 1. PCI Statistics:
1. Synod 8
2. Administrative Area 1
3. Presbyteries 111
4. Pastor Bial 542
5. Churches 984
6. Branch Churchs 984
7. Ministers 899
8. Pro. Pastor 1 18
9. Elders 9898
11.Total Membership 12,71,473
- 2. Budget
Budget Head 2012 – 2013 2013 – 2014
- General Account Rs. 52,88,590 Rs. 45,66,000
- Mission & Evangelism Rs. 10,40,000 Rs. 10,40,000
- Assembly House Rs. 5,15,000 Rs. 5,15,000
- Capacity Building & Empowerment Rs. 23,96,610 Rs. 15,47,500
TOTAL Rs. 92,40,200 Rs. 76,68,500
- 4. Delegates attended:
Mizoram Synod 350,
KJP Synod Mihngi 130,
KJP synod Sepngi 195,
CHT Synod 63,
Manipur Synod 63,
Zou Synod 40,
Biateram Synod 38,